Saturday , July 11 2020

‘Wrong thing to do’ Keir Starmer skewers Sturgeon over IndyRef2 | Politics | News

Speaking today, the Labour leader said the “breaking up” of the UK was the “wrong thing to do”. He said that “talking about the constitutional position isn’t really the most important thing” with an economic crisis looming following coronavirus.

The Labour Leader continued: “We’ve been through the most dreadful health crisis where lots of people have lost their lives.

“People are genuinely really scared about if it’s safe to go out, can their kids go to school?

“These are massive issues and, frankly, I think we should focus on that.

“We are about to hit an economic crisis, the likes of which we haven’t seen probably for a generation.”

It comes after a poll which showed that 54 percent of Scots were in support of Scottish independence with a growing number of Scottish Labour voters turning to the SNP.

Business for Scotland commissioned the Panelbase survey, which questioned 1,070 Scots aged over 16 and found 54 percent back Scotland leaving the UK, while 46 percent opposed it.

Scottish Labour voters who backed independence are now at 37 percent, up from 35 percent in a previous Panelbase survey last month.

The change comes a fortnight after the Scottish Labour leadership reaffirmed the party’s opposition to IndyRef2.

READ MORE: End of UK? Sturgeon DELIGHT as shock poll sets alarm bells

He added: “It is important that we make up ground again in Scotland, get trust again in Scotland, and I intend to be in Scotland a lot as soon as I can.”

Sir Keir also backed the leadership of MSP Richard Leonard who is leading Scottish Labour into the Holyrood elections next year.

He added: “I do think he’s the right man to lead us into those elections.

“I’m working closely with him and the visibility, the impact, the punch the Labour Party has is as much my responsibility as anybody else’s.

“The best way I can do that is by spending time in Scotland, being in Scotland and I intend to do that as much as I can.”

He said he would “lead from the front” by campaigning and holding events alongside Mr Leonard ahead of the elections.

He added: “We need to improve in Scotland in so many ways.

“I don’t think it’s just about visibility, I think it’s deeper than that – it’s a question of trust.”




Source link

Check Also

Brexit news: UK companies could be BANNED from exporting goods to the EU – leaked report | Politics | News

A leaked document from Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) says lorries will only be …