The US President is under fire after he posted a video showing Ilhan Omar, one of the country’s first two Muslims to be elected to Congress, alongside footage of the September 11 terrorist attacks. The video footage has been spliced with a speech given by Ms Omar, with Trump tweeting “we will never forget” next to it. Now, Women’s March is calling on the social media platform to ban him from Twitter.
In a tweet, the group posted: “Trump is sharing propaganda videos trafficking in hate speech and inciting real violence against Ms Omar.
“We’re calling for him to be suspended from @Twitter. Seriously.”
Ms Omar’s comments in the video were made during an event by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) and took place last month.
She said: “CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something.”
Those words were then edited alongside footage of the devastating attacks on the World Trade Centre and Pentagon.
The comments were taken out of context however.
She actually said: “Far too long we have lived with the discomfort of being a second-class citizen, and frankly, I’m tired of it, and every single Muslim in this country should be tired of it.
“CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”
A petition has been launched urging the bosses of Twitter and Facebook to remove Trump from the platforms.
The petition says: “Trump has launched a despicable and irresponsible attack on Congresswoman Ilhan Omar, sharing a propaganda video questioning the Congresswoman’s loyalty to the United States.
“This is as dangerous as it is unprecedented.
“Representative Omar is receiving countless death threats as the president of the United States is inciting violence against a Black Muslim sitting member of congress, putting her life at risk.”