Pakistan’s foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said the attack could take place between April 16 and April 20, adding its government has informed the five permanent members of the UN Security Council of its concern. Explaining the Pakistani prime minister, Imran Khan, had agreed to share the information, Mr Qureshi said: “A new mishap could be staged.
“And its purpose will be to justify their offensive against Pakistan and to increase diplomatic pressure against Islamabad.
“If it happens, you can imagine the impact of the occurrence on the peace and stability of the region.
“We have reliable intelligence that India is planning a new attack on Pakistan.
“As per our information, this could take place between April 16 and 20.”
The Indian government was quick to reject this claim, branding it “irresponsible and preposterous” and a call for action issued to terrorists, the Times of India wrote.
The ministry of external affairs issued a scathing statement saying: “India rejects the irresponsible and preposterous statement by the foreign minister of Pakistan with a clear objective of whipping up war hysteria in the region.
“This public gimmick appears to be a call to Pakistan-based terrorists to undertake a terror attack in India.”
The government’s ministry added Pakistan’s leaders are partially to blame for terrorist attacks carried out by militant group across the Indian border.
The statement added: “No attempt at creating an alibi for its complicity in such attacks will succeed.
“Pakistan needs to take credible and irreversible steps against terrorism operating from all territories under its control rather than making hysterical statements to obfuscate the core issue that bedevils our region.
“Pakistan has been advised to use established diplomatic and DGMO channels to share any actionable and credible intelligence it has about imminent terror attacks.”
Tensions between the two countries, who have been entwined for decades in a conflict over the contended territory of Kashmir, peaked on February 14, when militants of the Jaish-e-Mohammad militant group organised a suicide attack along the so-called Line of Control (LoC) border, killing at least 40 Indian paramilitaries.
The car bombing triggered a violent reaction from India, which on February 27 launched an air strike on what it said was a training base of the group.
Pakistan denied its territory was harbouring any militant group connected with the suicide attack, adding India missed whatever it was targeting.
The countries agreed on a ceasefire in a bid to ease tensions but, within the past weeks, they both accused each other of breaching their agreement.
Earlier this month, Pakistan had been accused of breaking ceasefire three times in 36 hours – which pushed India to retaliate.
Indian Defence Ministry’s spokesman Lt. Col. Devender Anand said in a statement: “Around 7.30 am, Pakistan initiated the attack violating the ceasefire agreement.
“There was unprovoked attack launched by the Pakistani soldiers in Mankote and Krishna Ghati sectors.”
The Indian Army retaliated effectively, he added.