Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are expected to welcome their first child in a matter of weeks after the Duchess of Sussex confirmed her due date was set for the end of April, early May. The royal couple announced last week they are planning to keep details of the birth under wraps to settle into parenthood away from media attention, as they plan to release information after having had time to “celebrate privately”. But commentator Christine Ross suggested the Duke and Duchess will not have the chance to take their time and will have to announce the arrival of the Royal Baby within hours from the birth.
Speaking to CBC, Ms Ross said: “I really think they can’t wait too long.
“When you think about it, no matter who is there, the midwives might mention it to their husbands who tells their friend at football practice whose cousin happens to be a Daily Mail reporter and then it’s everywhere.
“They really know that they don’t have a ton of time to keep this to themselves because you never know what sort of comments, what sort of signal is going to let the world know ‘oh, actually, this has happened.”
In a statement released from Buckingham Palace last Thursday, Prince Harry and Meghan thanked the public for the “goodwill” shown since the Duchess announced her pregnancy but admitted to wanting to take time to settle into their new roles as parents.
Ms Ross however insisted Prince Harry had built up “enough experience” to realise they will not be able to keep information about the Royal Baby secret for a long time.
She continued: “God forbid Harry cancels an engagement because the baby is actually here, we’re all going to start speculating and then the news is out.
“I think they have enough experience in their roles, Harry has experience in his role as royalty, that they can take some time to themselves but at the end of the day they can’t keep that close for days or weeks on end.”
Meghan, who is thought to be planning a home birth, has been settling in well to her new home at Frogmore Cottage after she and Prince Harry, moved in earlier this month.
The Duchess’ mother Doria Ragland is due to fly from LA to the UK this month ahead of the birth of her first grandchild.
She will stay with Harry, Meghan and their new baby at their new Windsor home, which underwent a £3 million makeover – a bill footed by the taxpayer.
The Duchess of Sussex is believed to considering an alternative to delivering her first child at the Lindo Wing in London, where both Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, and Princess Diana both gave birth.
Despite the criticism from the public who will be disappointed not to catch the Royal Baby outside Paddington hospital, expert Roya Nikkah claimed the Duchess of Sussex would actually be following the Queen‘s footsteps in her baby delivery.
Ms Nikkah said: “We see them as a very public couple, she had a very public baby shower in New York, but that said, yes they have a high profile, but she’s still a woman giving birth.
“She is still entitled to do that in a way that 99 percent of women do, which is privately.
“I think that’s something that we need to come to terms with, the media needs to come to terms with because that’s clearly her choice.