Maybe you don’t like saying “Alexa” to wake your echo. Although you can’t change Alexa’s name to anything you want, you can easily change it in the Alexa app to “Amazon,” “Echo,” or “Computer.” This trigger word for your Echo is known as its “wake word.”
10 Second Summary
1. Open the Alexa app.
2. Tap ☰.
3. Tap Settings.
4. Tap your Alexa device.
5. Tap Wake Word.
6. Select a new word in the menu.
7. Tap Save.
- Open the Alexa app. On your Android or iOS phone, open the mobile Alexa app and sign in to your Amazon account. It’s the light-blue app with a white outline of a speech bubble.
- Tap . It’s in the top-left corner.
- Tap . It’s near the bottom of the menu.
- Tap the Alexa device whose name you’d like to change. Tap the device you want to change the wake word for at the top of the Settings page.
- Scroll down and tap . This entry will also display your current wake word.
- Tap the “Alexa Device wake word” drop-down menu and select a word. Select a new wake word from the following options:
- Tap . It’s the large blue button.
- Amazon suggests that it may take a few minutes for the new wake word to be updated. You may not be able to use the device during this time.
- “Echo” is shortest wake word with only two syllables. Try this wake word if you use your Echo frequently, that way each of your commands will be one syllable shorter.
- The “Computer” wake word is a nod to the Star Trek series. If you want to use “Computer,” then refer to your computer as something else (like “PC,” “Mac,” or “Laptop”) to avoid triggering the Echo when you don’t want to.