Brexit news: Tory minister claims EU exit BONUS for Britain is a go | UK | News


The newly-minted minister said Britain is expecting to come into a Brexit bonus over the coming years to invest in public spending.

Asked whether he agreed with pro-Brexit colleagues arguing breaking ties with the will provide additional money for the UK, Mr Heaton-Harris agreed.

Reporter Jessica Elgot, a panellist on BBC Pienaar’s Politics, asked the minister: “Some of your colleagues said there are going to be ‘billions of pounds’ worth of Brexit bonus once we leave. Do you agree with that? Do you think there’s going to be billions of pounds more for the British economy when we leave?”

Mr Heaton-Harris responded: “When we stop paying the – I can’t remember the net sum that we are paying to the European Union this year but I think it’s about £11 billion – huge amounts of money into the multi-annual financial framework of the European Commission’s budget in a couple of years’ time – yes, there will be more money for us, the Government, to spend elsewhere.”

Latest figures from the Office of National Statists reported the UK’s gross contribution to the EU budget consisted of £19 billion before the £5 billion rebate was applied. The country additionally received a further £4.4 billion back to the public and private sector in credit. 

Economists for Free Trade, a group of Eurosceptic academics who support a full break with the EU, has estimated that the Treasury could benefit from an extra £80billion in revenue over the next 15 years as a result of a no-deal departure from the EU.

The economists last week unveiled a report in which they suggested that if the EU insisted on slapping tariffs on British exports and Britain responded in kind, the overall effect would amount to a staggering £13billion a year boost to UK revenues on top of the expected £80billion windfall from increased growth.

But Mr Heaton-Harris insisted he was certain the Government will be able to secure a new arrangement with the bloc despite the possibility of a no deal scenario growing as the November deadline for the negotiations approaches.

Mr Heaton-Harris continued: “I think we’ll get a deal, I honestly do but I’m the minister in charge of preparing for a no deal and we’ll be ready for that as well because that’s what a responsible Government does.

“I’m not in the negotiating room but I hear snippets from my boss, Dom Raab, and I tend to think the negotiations are going relatively well and we are getting to a very good place.”

On Thursday, the government issued another slew of paperwork to outline the “unlikely” scenario of a no-deal Brexit. The papers, aimed at providing guidance to businesses and the public to allow preparations, outline preparations if the UK crashes out of the EU with no deal on March 29, 2019.

The 28 “technical notices,” include guidance on vehicle standards, mobile-phone roaming charges and environmental rules.

Brexit Secretary said in a statement: “Getting a deal with the European Union is still by far and away the most likely outcome.

“These technical notices are part and parcel of our sensible, pragmatic approach to preparing for all outcomes.”



Source link

Mickleach.com is your news, entertainment, music & fashion website. We provide you with the latest news and videos straight from the entertainment industry.

Related posts

Leave a Comment