None of the vaccines currently developed by China have passed third stage clinical trials. However, Beijing said Phase 3 clinical trials were proceeding smoothly and the vaccines could be ready for the general public come November.
Also in China, the entire city of Ruili into complete and immediate lockdown as the nation is gripped by coronavirus second wave panic.
The city of Ruili has 140,000 inhabitants and is on the border with Myanmar.
Officials in the city claimed two illegal immigrants from Myanmar tested positive for coronavirus.
Authorities have stated they will now test everyone in the city for the disease.
Businesses in the city have been forced to close, with only supermarkets, pharmacies, and food markets allowed to stay open.
State-run Chinese tabloid said authorities in Ruili and the surrounding region have entered into “wartime status” in order to combat the spread of the virus.
FOLLOW BELOW FOR LIVE UPDATES:
China claims to have created a successful coronavirus vaccine that may be ready in November
10.50pm update: Archbishop of Canterbury rallies against centralisation of coronavirus decisions
The Most Rev Justin Welby wrote in the Daily Telegraph: “It makes sense to look instinctively for central direction in such an acute crisis, and we’re indebted to the roles many played in doing so, especially those who organised the NHS to cope with the increased demand.
“Within the Church there are lessons to be learnt about the role and importance of central guidance and its crucial interplay with government rules that exist for the benefit of all.
“But with a vaccine still far from certain, infection rates rising and winter on the horizon, the new normal of living with Covid-19 will only be sustainable – or even endurable – if we challenge our addiction to centralisation and go back to an age-old principle: only do centrally what must be done centrally.”
10.30pm update: Historic Royal Palaces announces job cuts due to coronavirus
The charity that runs Kensington Palace and the Tower of London is set to axe up to 145 jobs after taking a major hit to its income due to the coronavirus crisis.
Historic Royal Palaces has announced it has entered into a period of consultation on proposed redundancies.
The charity runs Kensington Palace, the Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace, Banqueting House, Kew Palace and Hillsborough Castle and Gardens.
In a statement released on Monday, Historic Royal Palaces said it had forecast income of £110 million at the beginning of the year.
But after being forced to close its six sites during the lockdown, the charity now expects this to be slashed by 89 percent to just £10 million.
10.15pm update: People will NOT snitch on neighbours over rule of six – poll
Most people would not snitch on their neighbours for breaking the coronavirus rule of six, an Express.co.uk poll suggests.
Readers voted in our poll on whether they would report their neighbours to the police for breaking the new rule.
Some 61 percent of respondents said no, while 37 percent replied yes, and two percent did not know.
Commenting on the poll, one reader fumed: “No, never !!! I have never been a curtain twitcher and do not intend to start.”
Our poll comes after Home Secretary Priti Patel insisted she would report neighbours over breaches of the rule of six.
9.30pm update: Irish minister for health tests negative for coronavirus
Irish minister for health Stephen Donnelly has confirmed that he has tested negative for coronavirus.
Mr Donnelly reported feeling unwell earlier on Tuesday and was tested for the virus, leading to other members of the cabinet restricting their movements as a precaution.
Home Secretary Priti Patel insisted she would report neighbours over breaches of the rule of six
9pm update: France reports 7,852 new coronavirus cases
France has confirmed 7,852 further coronavirus cases.
The country’s death toll has risen by 37 to 30,999.
8.10pm update: Irish cabinet restricting movements as parliament adjourned
Members of the Irish cabinet are restricting their movements and parliament has been suspended indefinitely, it has been announced.
Speaker Sean O Fearghail made the announcement to those gathered in the Dail on Tuesday evening.
He said: “I have very serious information. I’m told that arising out of events today, the cabinet must now self-isolate.
“Therefore the possibility of proceeding with business does not arise and the house stands adjourned, I suspect, until Tuesday next.
“Or until I’m directed by the Taoiseach to reconvene the house. So Dail adjourned until further notice.”
Health minister Stephen Donnelly earlier reported feeling unwell.
France has confirmed 7,852 further coronavirus cases
7.30pm update: Ireland’s coronavirus death toll up by three
Three further coronavirus deaths have been reported in Ireland, the National Public Health Emergency Team has said.
There have been 357 new cases of the virus confirmed, taking the overall total to 31,549.
Ireland’s death toll now stands at 1,787.
6.50pm update: Starmer will not take part in PMQs
Sir Keir Starmer will not take part in Prime Minister’s Questions on Wednesday as he is “still awaiting” a coronavirus test result for a member of his family, a spokesman said.
The Labour leader will be replaced at the despatch box by his deputy Angela Rayner.
Sir Keir was advised to self isolate on Monday after a member of his household showed possible symptoms of coronavirus.
Sir Keir Starmer will not take part in PMQs as he is waiting for a family member’s coronavirus test result
6pm update: 184 of 315 local authority areas record increase in weekly rate of new coronavirus cases
In total, 184 of the 315 local authority areas in England recorded an increase in the weekly rate of new Covid-19 cases in the seven days to September 12, according to the latest Public Health England data.
The rate fell in 123 areas and was unchanged in eight areas.
New cases were recorded in all but one of the 315 local authority areas, the exception being Babergh.
5.05pm update: British hospital patients to test antibody cocktail
Thousands of coronavirus patients across the UK will be given a new cocktail of antibodies as researchers continue to find a vaccine for the deadly pandemic.
The UK currently has the highest death toll figure across Europe after surpassing 40,000 and new cases of the novel virus continue to rise, sparking fears of a second outbreak. But a breakthrough could be on its way.
At least 176 hospitals across the country will be taking part in the new recovery trial by the University of Oxford, who were responsible for discovering the steroid dexamethasone can help save lives.
184 of 315 local authority areas record increase in weekly rate of new coronavirus cases
4.20pm update: UK reports 3,105 new cases and 27 further deaths
A further 3,105 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in the UK, taking the overall total to 374,228.
The death toll has increased by 27 to 41,664, according to the Government’s latest figures.
3pm update: Sturgeon concerned over constraints on testing capacity
Speaking at the Scottish Government’s coronavirus briefing, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said: “I have a concern about the capacity constraints right now with the UK-wide system and for Scotland in recent days.
“This has not been an issue of access to testing slots at regional testing centres or mobile testing units but instead it has been one of access to sufficient Lighthouse laboratory processing, and it is this that has led to a backlog in the system and longer turnaround times for tests than we we want to be the case.
“As this is a UK-wide system we are not able to resolve this on our own and the issues are impacted by demand elsewhere in the UK.
“To that end, last night I had a constructive conference call with Matt Hancock, the UK Health Secretary, and Dido Harding, head of the UK testing system, to seek assurances that Scotland will continue to get fair access to the UK-wide laboratory capacity and discuss how we can resolve these issues.
“So I hope to see improvement over the next few days but of course I will continue to provide updates.”
Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said coronavirus tests are now having to be prioritised
1.00 pm update: Health Secretary Matt Hancock says coronavirus tests are now having to be prioritised.
This may leade to restrictions to who can get tested.
Mr Hancock said: “We’ve seen a sharp rise in people coming forward for a test, including those who are not eligible.
“And throughout this pandemic we have prioritised testing according to need.
“Over the summer, when demand was low, we were able to meet all requirements for testing, whether priorities or not.”
12.00 am update: Outrage after grouse shooting and hunting with guns in England is exept from the “rule of six” coronavirus regulation.
Bloodsports are now exept from the new regulations set forth by the Government to halt the spread of the virus.
Alison Johnstone, the Scottish Green party’s health spokesperson Alison Johnstone said: “The tiny minority who derive pleasure from killing wildlife are not more important than the thousands who are being kept apart from seeing friends and family.”
11.00 am update: A coronavirus vaccine being developed in China may be ready for use by the general public as early as November.
Virologist Guizhen Wu said in an interview with state television said after taking the vaccine she had experienced no abnormal symptoms in recent months after taking an experimental vaccine herself in April.
9.30 am update: UK coronavirus test problems are “causing NHS treatment delays” says senior doctor
Speaking to Sky news, Professor Alan McNally of the University of Birmingham said: “I think the testing situation of Birmingham is the exact same as we’re hearing in other parts of the country with lots of people struggling to get tests and no real quantity of information on why that’s the case.
“I think this is multi-factorial. I think you almost have a perfect storm of events that have come together to almost essentially crash the testing system.
“I think there is a surge in demand and I think our stated capacity is very different from actually how many tests can be run in a given day.
“It’s very worrying that we seem to be in a situation before really we’ve come into autumn and winter where we’ve maxed out the number of tests we can do in the country, and that is very concerning.”
The hunt is on to find a coronavirus vaccine
Medic in PPE gear with coronavirus patient
9.00 am update: Chancellor Rishi Sunak warns of ecnomomic woes due to coronavirus lockdown consequences.
Mr Sunak commented on the recent unemployment figures, he said: “This is a difficult time for many as the pandemic continues to have a profound impact on people’s jobs and livelihoods.
“That’s why protecting jobs and helping people back into work continues to be my number one priority.
“We’ve taken decisive action throughout this crisis, introducing the furlough scheme and outlining a comprehensive plan for jobs to support, protect and create opportunities.
“And we’ll continue to do that through the autumn, including by supporting people back to work through policies such as our Job Retention Bonus worth up to £9bn.”
8.30 am update: A standard quarantine model is being developed by the European Commission
Arrivals from countries with more than 50 coronavirus cases per 100,000 people over the previous 14 days will need to go into quarantine.
This will affect the UK as on Monday the coronavirus rate hit 51.1 per 100,000 people.
So arrivals from the UK would need to quarantine under the new proposals.
UK coronavirus map as of September 14
8.00 am update: Bill Gates has warned a second wave of the pandemic is coming and could lead to levels seen in the first wave.
The Mircosoft founder said he was “pessimistic” about the coming months.
He said: “I’m pessimistic about what the fall in the northern hemisphere is likely to look like.”
He added: “If we don’t have interventions, the death rate in a number of countries including the United States will go back up to the levels that we had in the spring.”
7.30 am update: UK Government encouraging neighbours to report those who break ‘rule of six’ regulation.
Policing minister Kit Malthouse revealed “the option is open” to members of the public to phone the police non-emergency number to report neighbours breaking the rule of six.
Speaking to the BBC’s Radio 4’s Today programme on Monday he said: “If they are concerned and they do see that kind of thing then absolutely they should ring the number.”
Additional reporting by Brian McGleenon.