Visceral fat has been proven to increase the risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer. But the steps you take today could help remove the excess fat – and two moves can be done at home.
In order to reduce belly fat, you’ll have to reduce the body fat percentage, stated Men’s Health.
The fitness magazine detailed the two best exercises for burning belly fat that you can do in the comfort of your own home.
If you don’t want to attend the gym or work outside, these moves can be done in your garden (if you have one) or any room where you can make some space.
All you need is yourself, will power, commitment, and dedication to losing the belly fat.
The first move is called the “burpee”. This works out a lot of your muscles and is a great belly fat buster.
This requires you to get into a push-up position, jump your legs towards your hands, jump up, and go back down into a push-up.
A study from the American College of Sports Medicine found that 10 fast-paced reps was as effective as stimulating your metabolism as a 30-second sprint.
The burpee method – one rep
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart
- Lower your body until your palms rest on the floor about shoulder-width apart
- Kick your legs backward into a push-up position
- Do a push-up
- Quickly reverse them movement (jump legs back by your palms)
- Perform a jump when you stand
Another exercise technique you could perform art home is called the “mountain climber”.
For a core-strengthening manoeuvre , follow these steps – outlined by Men’s Health – below:
The mountain climber method – one rep
- Get into a push-up position with your hands below your shoulders, and your body forming a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Lift your right foot off the floor and move your right knee towards your chest
- Tap the floor with your right foot and return to the starting position.
- Now repeat this move with your left foot and knee.
This move works better with speed, and is said to “burn a ton of calories”.
Do I have too much visceral fat?
Harvard Medical School recommended the use of a tape measure to see if you could do with losing excess fat.
It’s important to wrap the bendy tape measure (the one you’d use for clothes, not the rigid one used for measuring furniture) at your navel.
Try not to suck your gut in and make sure the levelled tape measure isn’t too tight.
Women who have a waist measurement of 35 inches or more could do with performing exercises.
Sports to consider include tennis, rowing, basketball, football, dancing, badminton, squash or karate.
It’ll help to create opportunities in everyday life to “add motion to routine tasks”.
This could be as simple as parking further away from your destination so you walk more.
Or, taking the stairs instead of the elevator whenever the option arises.