The paramedic, Samantha, was asked how bad it was in frontline care during the height of the pandemic. She told LBC’s Matt Stadlen that she never told her family how bad it was as people died on their own. During the peak of the deadly virus, 4,419 people died at the end of April. The frontline worker noted she believes the coronavirus pandemic will result in a lot of NHS staff being diagnosed with mental health problems.
Speaking to LBC, Samantha said: “I haven’t even told my family how bad it was.
“We’ve literally been taking people out to die on their own.
“It was terrble for a while but it isn’t as bad now.”
She added: “If during Eid lots and lots of families are travelling from everywhere to other households we’re going to have a massive massive spike again.”
Samantha explained that during the lockdown she would visit someone who wasn’t in a bad enough condition to be admitted to hospital but after two days, they were dead or ended up in ICU.
Her comments come as the Government said 46,193 people had died in hospitals, care homes and the wider community after testing positive for coronavirus in the UK as of 5pm on Friday, up by 74 from the day before.
Separate figures published by the UK’s statistics agencies show there have now been more than 56,400 deaths registered in the UK where COVID-19 was mentioned on the death certificate.
The Government also said that in the 24-hour period up to 9am on Saturday, there had been a further 771 lab-confirmed cases. Overall, a total of 303,952 cases have been confirmed.
Boris Johnson has ordered officials to work-up a plan for avoiding a second national lockdown, according to reports.
The Prime Minister is considering asking the elderly to shield once again and is mulling lockdown-like conditions for London should there be a second wave of coronavirus infections, The Sunday Telegraph and The Sunday Times said.
The claims come after Mr Johnson was forced to announce a slow down of the lockdown easing on Friday, with planned relaxations for the leisure and beauty sectors delayed after a rise in Covid-19 cases was recorded, with prevalence in the community thought to be rising for the first time since May.
The Times reported the Conservative Party leader held a “war game” session with Chancellor Rishi Sunak on Wednesday to run through possible options for averting another nationwide lockdown that could stall any potential economic recovery.
Coronavirus map LIVE: Emergency measures introduced in south Liverpool [LIVE]
Remainers ‘spectacularly wrong’ as EU fails to sign vaccine deal [INSIGHT]
Donald Trump mocked over ‘tiny’ Florida speech crowd [ANALYSIS]
Under the proposals, a greater number of people would be asked to take part in the shielding programme, based on their age or particular risk factors that have been identified since March, said the Telegraph.
It could even see those aged between 50 and 70 given “personalised risk ratings”, said the Times, in a move that would add to the 2.2 million who were deemed most vulnerable and asked to shield themselves from society during the spring peak.
The advice was only lifted on Saturday for those in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and remains in place until August 16 for those shielding in Wales.
Other ideas mooted should the R-rate escalate in the capital include restricting travel beyond the M25 and putting a stop to staying at other people’s houses – similar to policies implemented in local lockdowns imposed in Leicester and parts of the north-west of England in recent days.