Health bosses in an area in Liverpool have imposed stricter lockdown measures on a few dozen streets after a potential cluster of COVID-19 infections raised concerns. Residents living in the Princes Park ward, including Toxteth, Dingle and the Canning area close to the city centre, who were previously shielding have been ordered to continue shielding until at least August 4.
While people living there are no longer allowed overnight stays and care home visits have been banned.
An emergency pop-up testing centre has also been set up in the Woolton area and Wavertree and Halewood to avoid an entire city lockdown.
The news comes after it was reported Prime Minister Boris Johnson has ordered officials to work up a plan for avoiding a second national lockdown.
Mr Johnson is considering asking the elderly to shield once again and is mulling lockdown-like conditions for London should there be a second wave of coronavirus infections, The Sunday Telegraph and The Sunday Times said.
It comes after Mr Johnson was forced to announce a slow down of the lockdown easing on Friday, with planned relaxations for the leisure and beauty sectors delayed after a rise in COVID-19 cases was recorded, with prevalence in the community thought to be rising for the first time since May.
FOLLOW EXPRESS.CO.UK BELOW FOR LIVE UPDATES
7.39am update: Tokyo confirms more COVID-19 cases
Tokyo confirmed 292 new coronavirus infections on Sunday, after cases rose by more than 400 in the past two days, public broadcaster NHK said.
Governor Koike Yuriko said on Friday Tokyo could declare a state of emergency if the coronavirus situation in the Japanese capital deteriorates further, as debate deepened over how to respond to record increases in new infections.